Thursday, June 6, 2013

helping hands....

I know I promised a blog last night... but I got home so late and the boys needed me to lay with them... those moments won't last forever... but I did fall asleep laying with them!
So... as they say, "better late then never" HA!
I had quite a weekend this last week.... as the week came to the end, my mother and father in law were packing, getting ready to leave to head back home after a month of being here with us. My girlfriend Marija has built quite the relationship with my mother in law over the years... they adore each other... so Marija wanted to get together with my mother in law before she left. We decided on Friday lunch at Wilson Creek Winery. We had a great lunch and some laughs believe it or not, even though we can't all communicate perfectly. There's something about communicating that's special. Where there's a will there's a way! Between sign language, body language and similar words, we can create some incredible conversation! We had the pleasure of seeing 5 of the Wilsons! Always a joy! Even had a sit down conversation with my Rosie Girl and Gerry! I just adore the Wilsons!
Towards the end of our lunch, I received a call that was an opportunity to help the McMullen Family and Friends. This would be Darlene's family, who had just lost Darlene a couple days earlier. Part of the help was picking up the twins... no big deal. The other part was after offering for Charity for Charity to help at the service. As I was suggesting exactly how we could help, we realized that there were several things that were overlooked or missing from the planning, simply because there was really no one available to dedicate their time to planning it. All of Darlene's closest friends were major players in the Balloon and Wine Festival and it happened to be THAT weekend. It ended up that I would step in and basically take over the planning of the service.
I'd never done a memorial service before, but of the all the events I have planned, I figured I could make it happen! So, I called my team together for Sunday night and Monday and we had a team!!! Every time people come together for the good of others, I get so touched and emotional! I just love humans who give back!

We spent hours making coral ribbons to represent brain cancer, printed and cut out photos... LOTS of them and framed some for the tables, put MANY on 2 photo boards and Leah and I spent until 1am creating 2 additional photo slideshows (my mom had created 2 for Stars of the Valley that we were using as well)!
Monday, the CFC team arrived at Wilson at 9am to set up. Pam, my girlfriend from HS and a CFC volunteer, did ALL the flower arrangements for the tables... they were amazing! I was so proud of our team... they were all over the place, running around and helping with their HUGE hearts!
The service was so special! The friends and family showed up wearing Darlene's favorite color, coral. Everyone in a different shade, different patterns and different styles. It really made an impact and represented Darlene in a unique way. There were probably over 200 people at least. The ceremony was touching. Her closest friends spoke and shared their most heartfelt feelings. Even Scott and their youngest son spoke. Scott shared the most inspiring words and held his composure perfectly! There were many tears, as you would expect. But everyone felt so peaceful after the service and I believe everyone walked away with a slightly different perspective then they came with.
After the service, we went inside and shared extremely touching videos and the most precious moments of sharing by friends.
The service was everything Scott had hoped it would be and the friends were pleased, expressing that it was a perfect depiction of Darlene. It was a little nerve-racking, not having known Darlene or the family very well and to have to come up with all the right things to make it as special as it could be. What a relief that we were able to pull it off!
I'm so proud of the Charity for Charity gang and the hearts of the individuals who gave their time and love to someone they really didn't know. It really motivates me to continue my dedication to this organization and what it's purpose is!



No comments:

Post a Comment