Saturday, May 25, 2013

Beautiful beach day almost gone bad. ...

Dad decided for his birthday that he wanted to spend the day at the beach with his daughters and grandkids, so we picked Huntington since Nicole was coming down from santa Barbara and had to leave for home by 7pm.
Cami and dad went early.  Cami had read up on the info at the beach,  how to reserve a fire pit and what location was best.  So,  they arrived about 10am. Dad had the idea to make a flag. .. 10ft tall,  so all could see (that it was his birthday!  Haha). Cami made the actual flag it of a pillow case and painted,  "happy birthday papa/daddy". We all found it hysterical that he wanted her to make it,  but let me tell you,  it was a great idea!
Not only did they place the flag in the selected spot,  but brandi arrived moments later (spotting the flag) and they decided to place her folding table by the fire pit to hold it for later.  (We had the kids who wanted to play in the water all day,  so we couldn't hang by the fire pit or we couldn't have kept an eye on them in the water.)  Of course,  Brandi,  being very much like her daddy,  had her name on the bottom of the table,  so there is no question whose it is. ...
Cousin David Sr. And I arrived about an hour or 2 later.  Cami had given detailed directions as to their exact location,  but there was no need.  We could see the 10ft happy birthday flag from the main street! Hahaha
I was in charge of the meat and condiments,  and what ever I wanted to drink.  Of course I can never decide,  so I had 4 -8 packs of different drinks! I had bought a bigger ice chest because I needed it,  but boy does it fit lots of heavy items! In addition to the drinks,  I had plenty of ice,  frozen hamburgers,  2 grande packs of quater pound hot dogs and more! I quickly found out that this particular ice chest,  full to the brim,  did NOT roll in the sand! Between the 4 of us,  and no one realizing we had arrived yet,  we were carrying 2 8ft surfboards,  ice chest plum full,  2 storage boxes full of food and toys,  my purse,  2 Beach chairs and Daves bag. A video might not have even done justice to the comedy of the effort to do it all in 1 trip.  I'm that person. ... groceries,  luggage,  what ever,  I will destroy my body, fingers,  anything in the way. .. to not make more then 1 trip!
Fortunately,  Brandi and dad caught wind that we arrived and saved us from the potential disaster that was about to strike!
Nicole arrived about 30 minutes later and our group was complete!
So much fun! A Day like we used to have when we were kids. ...  We went to the beach as a family almost every Sunday in the summer after church! That was the first time in over 20 years that dad had all of us girls together with him at the beach!
He was set on playing with the Grand kids. ... He built sand castles,  played in the water,  rode bogie board, helped the kids to surf,  played catch. .. a dream day for him! Moms, aunties and uncles got in the action by playing football. ... well,  actually,  we played monkey in the middle! Total blast. ... that is until we looked over at our claimed fire pit and it was being taken over. ... including using our table!
There were 3 girls sitting there with stuff all around them,  Boldly using brandi's folding table! When dad realized what was going on,  he did what any leader of the family would do. ... He began marching over to let these girls know THIS FIRE PIT WAS TAKEN!
2 grandkids followed for"back up".
When dad returned,  he informed us that he politely explained to the girls that he had arrived early to claim the pit and that was his table marking the spot. They understood and said they would just stay until we were ready to use it.  Fair enough.  So we continued our game for a little longer. 
Us old folk started dying off. .. kenny's knee hurt,  Cami's back hurt,  dad was tired,  Brandi and I had to pee... ya,  We're old! So bran and I took off towards the potty when we noticed that more kids had shown up at the pit, boys. We could tell the girls were explaining their encounter with dad and then we see the boys start moving Brandis table! !! They scooted it out inch by inch as if the farther away the table got,  the less "claimed" the pit was! Since we had to pee, we sent Logan,  who was following us,  to go tell dad and the gang what was going on. 
When bran and I started back from the toilets,  we saw dad,  Kenny,  3 of our kids and cami matching towards the fire pit.  Brandi said that we should go with.  I hate confrontation,  but then I realized,  dad is 75, 2 heart surgeries and brain surgery,  he doesn't need to get excited over these punks! So I toughened up and agreed and we met the gang at the pit. 
Would you believe when dad explained what he had told the girls,  these teenage punks argued?  They told him that there was nothing claiming the pit and that they thought the table was just "left" there! Dad told them he got there at 10am to hold the spot so he and his grandkids could roast hot dogs and marshmallows for his birthday! One kid got feisty and argued with dad and that was when tempers flared! Dad pointed at the kid and firmly said,  "don't argue with me" and that's when I chimed in,  "come on you guys,  he's 75, it's his birthday,  this is all he wanted. .. give me a break!" One kid says,  "I'm sorry,  but we didn't know" "bull you didn't know! " I said,  "my dad talked to those girls over there and I saw you guys start moving the table!" So another kid says, "prove its your table" (ya,  the nerve!) Well,  thank God it was brandi's table! Kenny flipped it over,  and there was the name,  "MacMillan". (If it was mine,  we would have had to brawl). So the kid shrugs his shoulders,  another one says "fine" and another apologizes.  Whatever jerks! Get a 75 year old man all worked up cuz you think you're entitled to the world! ? Kids these days!  My adrenaline spiked and I believe as did my sisters and brother in law! I can't believe the audacity! So,  they agreed to move and we realized it was time for us to do the same.  You've never seen a team move faster then we did in that moment.  Kids of all ages grabbing things of all sizes and dragging,  pulling,  sliding across what felt like miles of soft,  deep sand! But we did it,  in about 10 minutes we were filling the pit with wood from the back of my truck and starting to roast dinner! We had some good laughs reflecting on the past half hour and how dad was ready to fight the 19 year old punk! We ended up enjoying the rest of our evening. ... one of the punks, as they left,  came over and apologized to dad.  It was very nice,  so I guess I should remove the "punk" label from him... But I could transfer it double to his friend who we heard say,  "you don't need to apologize!" They say you get what you give. ... Oh,  that kids got something coming to him. ... Sorry I won't be there to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment