Tuesday, May 21, 2013

May 17th...

jammed packed day it was on Friday, May 17th! First! it was my Daddy's 75th birthday! Always a great day when someone is celebrated! Especially someone you love! I didn't celebrate right away... Luca had a field trip to Riley's Farm up in Yucipa.
Brenda and I planned to go together, since parents were allowed to meet the buses up at the farm. I had no idea what the place was, I'd never heard of it. Anyways, back to Brenda... unfortunately, the day before, Brenda's son Marco was hanging from a tree on the playground and slipped and literally cracked his head open. Hours and an emergency room visit later, he got 12 staples in his adorable little head. Needless to say, that took Brenda out of the plans for Friday's Field Trip! :( We didn't know for sure though, until Friday morning. He was going to play it by ear. Poor baby Friday morning was sleeping when it was time to get to the school. I had told Luca that I wasn't going to drive up alone, so if Brenda wasn't going, I wouldn't be. Well... that was fine until Brenda WASN'T going, that is when Luca called me SELFISH!!! Of all the things!!! Well, I heard his underlying words and that was, "Mom, I'm disappointed, I was really looking forward to you going, and I already told all my friends you were going". Good thing I can read between the lines!!! So, what else was there to do, but go?
So into my little Fiat 500 I got, put the top down and sunglasses on! I had an hour and a half drive into the hills and I was going in style!!!
We arrived at this incredible location that looked like a movie set based in the colonial days. In fact, it is used as a set for a TV show!!! Everyone dressed the part, speaking the part, acting the part. They put the kids right into the program of teaching them at stations, how everything worked "back then". They learned about the guns used in battle (using sticks to simulate the guns), they learned about the games that were played with wood, rocks, etc., they learned MANNERS... such a great station!!!! They learned how to cook and clean (briefly) and finally, they learned about how to go to battle. It was actually really neat. I loved the speech the owner/founder gave the kids at the end, expressing his love for our for fathers, our country, our soldiers and our freedom. He cried, he made me cry and I realized why he created this farm.











The parents lined up to take home their famous home made apple pies! I think I waited in line for over a half hour! What a great trip! I would go there again!
So, homeward bound I was, alone again for an hour and a half. Enjoying the wind in my hair and jammin to my Air 1 radio station!
We got to the school just in the nick of time... school let out minutes before we arrived. I grabbed the boys and we headed home to grab my mother in law and some wine and head over to my sister Cami's house for Dad's birthday dinner! And what a dinner it was! Each and every one of us had an entire crab to ourselves! And there were 8 of us (originally)! Turns out Logan doesn't like crab... but LUCA! well he pretty much ate his entire crab! Cami, Dad and Cousin Dave ate my body (oh gosh, that doesn't sound right!) and any others who didn't like that part. At the end of our crab feast, my nephew and his girlfriend showed up and THEY shared an entire crab! Then, Alex popped in and HE TOO ate a crab! That was 10 crabs that night!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!!!!!

Talking to his sister Annette in Rhode Island


Alex showing up wasn't as simple as him just coming by and eating a crab! We got almost an entire hour of a comedy show! He was explaining to us about one of his new hires and a certain way this person carries themselves that bothers Alex. He went on to demonstrate, explain and relay his demands for a different way for this person to carry themselves. He had us in stitches!!! Dad and I were actually crying laughing. It's not only WHAT Alex says, but HOW he says it. If you've ever heard him tell a story... he's witty, blunt, ITALIAN.... and he usually SAYS what the rest of us only WISH we could say!!!!
What a fun way to end this FUN FILLED day!!!! Dad thoroughly enjoyed his dinner celebration... as did we all!!! AND... he had round 2 waiting for him the very next day!!!! (do we see a trend here in the Comella family birthdays???? hahhaah.... )

No comments:

Post a Comment