Monday, May 20, 2013

I'm not superstitious, but Monday was the 13th!

Oh,  how I didn't know what this day held for me! A beautiful Monday morning,  a few things on my agenda. .. First was to return the diner booths that we borrowed from our restaurant equipment wholesaler in Corona. 
You would think my husband would've loaded them in the truck for me,  but he was in a funk,  and he knows I'm capable.  (Sometimes it's great to be a"super woman" and not need help doing anything. ... Or being able to do so much... But other times it is a complete curse! This is one of those times!)
So I called our worker to come help me,  after all, I couldn't do it in my own! So we loaded all 4 booths with thier cushions.  I still had to shower,  so I asked him to strap them down. "Of course", he said. 
So,  worry free,  I went to get ready.  An hour later I jumped in the truck and headed down,  first stop,  gas.
As I came down my Hill,  I thought to myself that I forgot to check and make sure he tied down the booths.  Is Ok,  I'll check when I stop for gas.  And I did.  I saw the rope wrapped several times around the booths. Not clear exactly where underneath they are strapped, I shook them and they didn't move. 
Confident, I got on the freeway and started down the 15 and got 1 mile when I felt the truck jerk. I looked in my rear view mirror and my heart dropped! I saw an entire booth in the middle of the slow lane sitting upright! There were 2 cushions sprawled across the shoulder and cars were unexpectantly coming around the curve right up on it ALL!!!!!!! In order to miss the booth, they had to veer quickly to the right, beyond the shoulder to miss the cushions, into the dirt!!!! I watched in horror as I called Alex. He told me he'd come and I hung up the phone. Just then, a truck pulled over behind me. The man was on his cell phone, not getting out of his truck. I was panicking, watching each car or semi truck whip around what could've been their death trap. I couldn't watch any longer so I climbed across the center console to the passangers seat (I was parked too close to traffic to get out on my side) and I exited the truck. I walked close to the man's truck that was parked behind me. His window was down, but he didn't look my way. So, I did what I thought the right thing to do was... I couldn't sit there and watch people almost crash and get killed every second any longer.... I had to go move the booth, even if it was dangerous and life threatening. So, I started running down the freeway in my sundress and flip flops! I got a few yards down and I heard, "hey lady!" I turned and the man from the truck was motioning me to move away from the freeway. "I have to move the booth out of the lane!" I yelled back. "Get away!" He yelled! I started walking towards him as he was walking towards me... I approached him on the verge of tears... "I can't let someone die by hitting the booth! I have to move it!" "Hi, I'm Steve... you need to calm down and get in your car. It's an accident and there's nothing you can do. I called the CHP and they are on their way. They will take care of it." "But look! Every car that comes around the bend is almost hitting it or flipping from veering so far into the shoulder that they hit the dirt!" "It's okay, you can't go move it. If debris flies from that thing, you could be killed. Go get in your car." "Okay" I said reluctantly. I couldn't watch, but I couldn't stop turning around. Steve (a fireman) started walking towards the booth. No sooner did he start walking and a semi truck came around the corner, hit the booth and demolished the thing! It was in pieces! That was exactly the time, if Steve hadn't stopped me, that I would've been at the booth, trying to move it. God had MANY angels there in that moment! Steve kept walking and the CHP arrived, slowing traffic to a stop. Another CHP arrived and got out to kick debris from the lanes. Steve helped. Once it was cleared from the lanes, the CHP released the traffic and all were on their merry way.... never realizing the danger that lurked just moments before! The CHP went back to his car and Steve walked to me. "Well, you're free to go. No one was hurt and everything is taken care of!" "that's it?" I asked. "Yes, unless you want to talk to them?" "Not if they don't want to talk to me!" then a CHP pulled up. "Is that your booth?" he asked Steve. "No, it's mine" I chimed in. "Ok, well, everything is fine and no one was hurt, have a good day" "that's it?" I asked him... "that's it" he replied! WOW.... was that a miracle to say the least? 
Just as we were loading into our cars, Steve and I, Alex pulled up. Not having a CLUE what I had just went through, he salvaged what was able to be salvaged, which was 1 cushion and loaded it on the truck. He asked why I didn't tie them down and I explained that they were... he, in disbelief, told me to go home, hopped into his car and left. I sat for a second on the side of the freeway, still shaken up, without a strap and no idea how to go. I decided to take the off ramp that was right in front of me and down the street from my sisters house where my Dad lives. I slowly drove the couple miles to their house to get straps that I'm sure he had. when I pulled up, my sister pulled up at the same time. I called my dad and with him on the phone and her in my window, I explained what just happened. My dad immediately came home, strapped the remaining booths into the truck SO SECURE and took me inside to help me calm down. Dad told me to wait until the morning to return the booths and he'd go with me. I liked that idea. Once I felt calm, I went about my day, running my errands and grabbing the boys.... ending up at home where I realized I wasn't so calm. Inside I was reliving the second longest 20 minutes of my life (the other time was when I thought my Dad was dying in my living room). It wasn't until I shared with my husband exactly what I went through and he was able to console me, that I felt a little better. But every time I have talked about this since, my neck tenses and my nerves go into high gear. The truth of the matter is, that, the miracle I witnessed that day was a clear vision of angels at work. The cars were their pawns and Fireman Steve was sent personally for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment